Opening 24 October 2020
We're excited to share that for the first time in over 100 years, our fifteenth-century Equestrian Armour will be redisplayed, transforming Hertford House's central courtyard. Opening to the public on the 24th of October, visitors will be able to see one the Collection’s exceptionally rare armours quite literally in a new light.
Taking pride of place in the heart of the Hertford House, the armour for man and horse, will be on show as part of a reimagining of the Wallace Collection’s central courtyard. This historic redisplay will coincide with the reopening of the museum’s restaurant and café on the same day.
Until the nineteenth century, the equestrian armour was preserved in the ancestral home of the Freyberg family at Schloss Hohenaschau in Bavaria. Around 1850 the contents of this formidable mountain fortress were sold at auction, and in 1867, the armour was acquired by the Comte de Nieuwerkerke, who displayed it in his apartment at the Louvre in Paris.
There, it was studied by many artists, including the renowned architect and medievalist Eugene Viollet-le-Duc, who published it in his famous Dictionnaire raisonné du mobilier français de l'époque Carolingienne à la Renaissance (1858-70). In 1871 the armour was sold to Sir Richard Wallace, along with the rest of the Nieuwerkerke collection.